City of Hitchcock Police Department


NON-EMERGENCY CALLS - 409.986.5559

MUNICIPAL COURT - 409.986.9702


English Arabic Chinese (Simplified) French Spanish Vietnamese
YOU ARE HERE: Home Patrol Division Parent Safety Info What to do if..

What to do if your child disappears

  • Immediately call (911)

    When law enforcement arrives give the responding officer all personal and identifying information, including fingerprints, photograph and DNA samples so that they can expedite the investigation. Insist that they enter the information into the National Crime Information Computer (NCIC) at once.

  • Notify all other relevant law enforcement agencies

    Including the local sheriff, state police, and police from adjoining jurisdictions. This will give you the knowledge that they are aware of your child's plight.

  • Notify the Federal Bureau of Investigation

    If you suspect a predatory abduction. FBI resources are unsurpassed in law enforcement.

  • Notify all local media assignment desks.

    Work with the Media - keep in mind that the general public's awareness about your missing child could be expedited by the broadcasting of details.

  • Notify your local non-profit child locator service.

    Local Child Locator Non-Profit organizations can offer a wealth of assistance including, but not limited to: acting as a liaison with law enforcement; and assisting in locating a sympathetic reporter to help you plea your case in the media.

  • If you require a reward.

    The Carol Sund / Carrington Memorial Reward Foundation provides Missing Person-Criminal Apprehension Rewards of up to $10,000.

  • If you require a citizen search effort.

    The Laura Recovery Center Foundation is one of the Internet's best destinations for organizing volunteer search centers. If the criteria are met they will assist in professionally training your search volunteers.

    1-866-898-LRCF (5723)
  • If you want to talk to someone who has walked in your shoes

    Team H.O.P.E. (Help Offering Parents Empowerment) is a federally supported organization consisting of family members of missing children. Trained to assist those who are facing the early stages of a disappearance, these volunteers can provide rare insight, wisdom, and important resources.

    1-866-305-HOPE (4673)
  • If you believe that your child has run away.

    We recommend that you call the National Runaway Hotline. They have a database of more than 10,000 local resources throughout the country.

  • Keep your home phone staffed and record conversations.

    This may be the only way your child knows how to reach you.

  • Find a printer.

    Volunteers will help you to post flyers in highly visible areas.

  • Encourage a massive coordinated response effort

    By law enforcement, media, your closest child finding agency, and volunteers.

  • Take care to preserve your physical well being.

    Seek emotional and psychological support from your church or social service agencies. Remember that you alone are leading the battle for the return of your missing child.


Amber Alert Information